The Center for Grassland Studies has set the 23rd Fall Seminar Series and Leu Lecture speaking schedule. Twelve lectures will address topics ranging from what drives profits to structural heterogeneity of vegetation in the Sandhills to managing an integrated cow/calf system. The series features Dr. David Briske, this year's Frank and Margaret Leu Distinguished Lecturer. Dr. Briske's session is entitled, A Rangeland Odyssey: From Equilibrium to Non-equilibrium and Beyond.
Seminars take place on Mondays during the fall semester from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the Nebraska East Union. The first lecture is Aug. 28 and the last is Dec. 4, with none on the dates of Sept 4., Oct 16, and Oct 23.
The seminars are free and open to the public. Students may register to take the series for academic credit. A course overview for students will take place on Aug. 21 from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the Nebraska East Union. For more information on this option, please contact the Center fro Grassland Studies at 472-4101.
To review a full schedule of topics and speaker biographies, click on 2017 Fall Seminar Series Schedule.
Seminar lectures are recorded and available for viewing for those who were unable to attend a particular session. Click on the links below to watch lectures (lectures will be uploaded within two days of the original presentation).
- Understanding and Using an Animal Unit Month in Grazing Management ... Aaron Berger. Aaron Berger - Aug. 28, 2017.
- Field Peas in Beef Cattle Diets in Western Nebraska ... Karla Jenkins. Karla Jenkins - Sept. 11, 2017.
- Regenerative Livestock Impact ... Del Ficke. Del Ficke - Sept. 18, 2017.
- What Drives Profit? ... Chip Ramsay. Chip Ramsay - Sept. 25, 2017.
- Wanna Get Buzzed Out on the Range: Pyric Herbivory Promotes Pollinator Diversity on Working Ranches ... Shelly Wiggam. NOTE: Due to grant restrictions, this video is unavailable for viewing at this time.
- Utilization of Corn Silage and Ethanol Co-products in Beef Growing and Finishing Diets ... Henry Hilscher, Jr. NOTE: Video unavailable for this presentation.