Please keep checking this page for additional information, which will be posted as it becomes available. Thank you.
Date: August 6-8, 2018
Location: Kearney, NE
Hotel: Kearney Ramada, 301 2nd Avenue, Kearney, NE 68847, (308) 237-7026. To receive the negotiated room rate for the conference, you must make your hotel reservation by July 24.
Registration: Select the appropriate option below to complete your online registration. A $20 service fee will be added to each registration made after July 31.
- General & Student - Student registration fees apply to high school or college students who will be full-time as of fall 2018. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln's (UNL) College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources will cover registration fees for the first 20 high school students registering by July 31. Current UNL students may apply for an Educational Grant to help cover registration fees. Contact the Center for Grassland Studies for additional information.
- Sponsors & Exhibitors - Questions regarding becoming a sponsor or exhibitor may be directed to Brent Plugge, 1400 E 34th, Fairgrounds, Kearney, NE 68847-3992, (308) 236-1235 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Levels of sponsorship include:
- Underwriter - $1,000: Information booth, three complimentary conference and tour registrations, lunches and banquet meals, and three copies of proceedings.
- Gold - $500: Information booth, two complimentary conference and tour registrations, lunches and banquet meals, and two copies of conference proceedings.
- Silver - $330: Information booth, one complimentary conference and tour registration, lunches and banquet meal, and one copy of conference proceedings.
- Refreshment - $200: Organization will be mentioned in print materials and will receive one copy of conference proceedings.
- Speakers, Panelists & Moderators -
Cancellation Policy: General and sponsor/exhibitor cancellation requests received by July 31 will receive a full refund. Cancellation requests for sponsors received after July 31 have the option to receive a 50% refund or a 75% credit toward the next year's sponsor registration.
Conference Schedule: Additional information about the speakers and schedule will be added as it becomes available.
August 6 - Monday
12:30 p.m. - Charter buses depart Ramada Kearney for complimentary field tour and evening buffet.
1:30 p.m. - Field Applications of Pasture and Ecological Monitoring with Christine Su, PastureMap, San Francisco, CA
5:30 p.m. - Dinner - Hosted by the Buffalo County Extension office
7:30 p.m. - Strategies for Rangeland Monitoring with Jim O'Rourke, RujoDen Ranch, Chadron, NE
8:00 p.m. - Return to Ramada Kearney
August 7 - Tuesday
9:00 a.m. - Registration Opens
10:00 a.m. - Welcome and Opening Remarks
10:15 a.m. - Keeping Your Ranching Operation in the Family for Future Generations with Ron Hanson, Harlan Agribusiness Professor Emeritus, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Nipomo, CA
12:00 p.m. - Lunch
1:00 p.m. - Multi-species Grazing: Incorporating on Your Ranch with Sage Askin, Lusk, WY
1:40 p.m. - Why Do Ewe Run Cows? with Brock Terrell, Hay Springs, NE
2:10 p.m. - Cattle + Sheep + Goats = Environment + $ with Mike Wallace, Nelson, NE
2:40 p.m. - Discussion
3:00 p.m. - Break
3:30 p.m. - Lesser Prairie Chicken, Grazing Systems and a Search for Solutions with John Kraft, Manhattan, KS
4:15 p.m. - It Depends: Relationships between Wildlife and Livestock Grazing Management Vary Across Space and Time with Lance McNew, Bozeman, MT
5:00 p.m. - Social
6:00 p.m. - Banquet
7:15 p.m. - Sharing Our Ranch Succession Planning Strategies and Experiences: A Producer Panel moderated by Ron Hanson, Harlan Agribusiness Professor Emeritus, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Nipomo, CA; and Vern Terrell, Hay Springs, NE; Lynn Myers, Lewellen, NE; and Mike Wintz, Bingham, NE
August 8 - Wednesday
7:30 a.m. - Registration (Refreshments in Exhibit Area)
8:00 a.m. - Keeping Human Knowledge at the Center of Technology with Christine Su, PastureMap, San Francisco, CA
8:45 a.m. - Pasture Monitoring: Producer Experience moderated by Jeff Nichols, NRCS; Bethany Johnston and Mitch Stephenson, Nebraska Extension
9:45 a.m. - Discussion
10:15 a.m. - Break
10:45 a.m. - Planting Decisions for Alternative Forages: Plant Perspectives by Daren Redfearn, Agronomy and Horticulture, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
11:05 a.m. - Planting Decisions for Alternative Forages: Animal Perspectives Mary Drewnoski, Animal Science, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
11:25 a.m. - Discussion
12:00 p.m. - Lunch
1:00 p.m. - Producer Reflections with Homer Buell, Bassett, NE
1:30 p.m. - Final Comments and Evaluations
1:45 p.m. - Adjourn
Event Brochure: Click on 2018 NGC Brochure to print, download, or distribute. Thank you.
Event Flyer: A flyer for the event is available by clicking 2018 NGC, if you would like to assist with publicizing the event. Thank you.